Braddon is classified as a rural electorate and is home to around 100 000 people, covering approximately 20 826 sq km in the north west and west of Tasmania, including King Island.
The electorate boundary was last gazetted in February 2009 and first proclaimed in 1903. At that time, the electorate was named Darwin. The electorate name changed to Braddon in 1955, after Sir Edward Braddon who was Premier of Tasmania from 1894 to 1899 and also served as a Member of the House of Representatives between 1901 and 1904.
Burnie and Devonport are major population centres within the electorate and are key locations for retail outlets and services supporting the agricultural and forestry industries such as vegetable processing, cheese manufacture, sawmilling and wood chipping.
Fishing, aquaculture, kelp harvesting, dairying, beef cattle production, and vegetable, poppy and pyrethrum growing are major primary industries. Mining and associated equipment manufacture and servicing are also prominent in the electorate, particularly in the west.
Tourism and manufacturing are major industries in Braddon. The electorate is also the base for the University of Tasmania Cradle Coast Campus, the University’s Rural Clinical School, and two major hospitals.
Burnie and Devonport are important Tasmanian sea ports, with Burnie servicing both freight and cruise ships and the TT Line’s Spirit of Tasmania passenger and vehicle ferry service operating out of Devonport. Interstate airports are located at Devonport, Wynyard and Currie.
Find out more about Braddon and other Tasmanian electorates from the Tasmanian Electoral Commission.